"Men are that they might have joy..."

Happiness comes in small moments of laughter and surprise. Joy is a destination - something that we reach after all of the lessons have been learned, and blessings counted. This is my journey to joy, one baby step at a time...

Monday, March 5, 2012

When Amid Life's Billows - Count Your Blessings

My Mom and Dad have always taught me that happiness is fleeting - but joy is eternal.  As a child, I thought that happiness and joy were one and the same, because my perspective was so short sighted.  Next year seemed like a lifetime away, and last year - well, I had no real use for last year.

I remember the day I got my first suede moccasins from Tijuana - I thought they were very cool.  That was a happy day.  They were dark brown, and very, very soft.  It was the 60's, and fringe was in, and they looked awesome with my olive green fringed purse.  The first time I left them sitting on the floor in the living room, our dog Boo Boo chewed one up, and my moment of happiness ended up in the backyard in the cool grass.

Fast forward to my wedding day.  My husband, Mike, and I were married and sealed in the LDS temple in Salt Lake.  It was a happy and overwhelming day, with friends and family there to share in our moment.  Following the ceremony, we stood facing a large mirror on the wall.  It faced an identical mirror on the wall behind us, and hanging over our heads was a shimmering crystal chandelier.  Because of the way that the mirrors and chandelier were placed, we could see iterations of ourselves sparkling forward into what seemed like forever.  The thought that we were at the beginning of something that could last forever was amazing and awe inspiring.  (Over the years, I'm sure that we have both occasionally thought:  What were we thinking??!)

Flash ahead to June 16, 1981 - and Dr. Hicks places a red, fat, screaming baby girl into my arms.  Oh!  I see what you mean, Mom!  All of that fun, laughter, and happiness up until that moment suddenly snapped into it's true perspective, and I knew true, absolute and irrevocable joy for the very first time.  No amount of vomit, poop or sleep deprivation could dampen my joyful heart.



Over the years I have felt that glimpse of joy often, and know that is my goal - to get through the struggles, heartache, and downright garbage and surround myself with people and things that take me closer to a joyful life. 

That's what this blog is for: A place to record and share moments of joy.  Want to come along for the journey? 

I read on another blog today that their family motto is "Happy Not Crappy."  I love that!  I want a sign that says that in my house.  My mother thinks crap is a bad word - I think it's awesome.  I've decided to record a year of blessings - and hope I can dedicate myself enough to post a new blessing every single day for the next 365 days.

The theme of this blog comes from the words to this song:

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed.
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost.
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care,
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear.
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

So amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all.
Count your many blessings, Angels will attend -
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

3 comments:

  1. You are off to a wonderful start, Kathee. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie. You are actually a great example. I've enjoyed your writing, and have learned so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, again, for this blog. LOVE IT LOVE IT...and am sooooooooo "proud" of you...

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete