"Men are that they might have joy..."

Happiness comes in small moments of laughter and surprise. Joy is a destination - something that we reach after all of the lessons have been learned, and blessings counted. This is my journey to joy, one baby step at a time...

Saturday, March 17, 2012

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS (11): Sea Salt Caramels

What is it that makes someone crave a particular food?  Pregnant women crave pickles - I seriously doubt they are having a vinegar deficiency causing this craving.  Babies crave food of any sort.  I watched 10 month old Cooper inhale an adult size plate of lazagna, salad and roll, and then a piece of cake.  I know for a fact that he'd just had a jar of baby food because I could smell the pureed vegetables still on his breath. 

I crave sea salted caramels.  It's gross, really.  Take a perfect, gooey golden caramel, dip it in beautiful, dark chocolate, and then dump salt on the top?  Not ordinary salt.  Sea Salt.  It makes no sense, but there you have it.  They just taste delicious - at least I think they taste delicious.  Is it because someone was paid to tell me it was delicious, and so I believed them?  Is it because I have so many fond memories of time spent at the beach? 



There are 'break out novels' that sell a million copies that I've read, and haven't necessarily thought too much of them, but word of mouth has turned them into household names.  There are 'blockbuster' movies that get all of the award nominations ("Hugo"), that didn't bust any of my blocks when I watched them.  Does the hype make them amazing, or are they amazing, and I just don't get it? 

Is a Starbucks $5.00 coffee really better than the $1.00 coffee at a corner coffee shop, or does the green logo magically infuse special flavor through the side of the paper cup?   During the sixties, we all owned something with a school bus yellow smiley face on it.  Millions of dollars were made off of that image.  I was desperate to have smiley face pee chees for school. 



So back to the sea salted caramels.  I love them.  They make me feel good.  Just like going to the beach, sea salt and all.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites too. Today I had a small bag of chocolate covered Caramel Brule' candies. Very much like what Kathee has discribed. I am hooked.........

    ReplyDelete