"Men are that they might have joy..."

Happiness comes in small moments of laughter and surprise. Joy is a destination - something that we reach after all of the lessons have been learned, and blessings counted. This is my journey to joy, one baby step at a time...

Monday, April 30, 2012

JOURNEY TO JOY (23): The Learning Curve

I've been taking some online classes recently, and while I'm enjoying myself and feeling challenged, I have to admit that my brain is a bit rusty.  In my recently completed 12 assignment term, I got a 90%-100% on all assignments except for ONE: and I couldn't seem to pass it -- even with open book assistance.  Let's admit it folks, this was my best subject during my formal education.  I redid the assignment several times, and based on the response of the 'instructor' - it got worse each time I tried to fix it.  Either the instructor was an imposter, or I'm nuts.  I passed the course with a 90%, but that one stray assignment is still frustrating me.

A few weeks ago I sat in the Marriott Center watching my middle son graduate from BYU along with 6,000 other students.  One brother and sister walked across the stage with their mother.  It was really touching.

After we got home, we were having dinner with my daughter and her family.  My grand-daughter, Amber, who is finishing up first grade, was showing me how she can multiply in her head now - that is really impressive!

All this got me to thinking about how lucky we are to live in a time where information and knowledge are so available to us!  I don't even need to go to the library to look for a book.  I can power up my e-reader and download it from my bed in the middle of the night if I want to, and I can continue my education online. 

Five-year-old Zack and I were playing Angry Birds on my tablet last night.  I was struggling, and he was trying to explain to me how to make the bombs blow up, make a red bird turn into three birds, and make the yellow bird speed up -- all in an effort to kill the pigs.  He said, "Grandma, just do it the way that I'm showing you.  You can learn how if you watch me."  Hmmm.

Who'd have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment